Video-first Sports Journalist QPR (trainee)
Location: Remote working/ from home/Guildford
Salary – Competitive plus benefits
Hours: 75 hour fortnight and as reasonably requested by line manager
Reports to: Head of sport; digital (South East and Cambridge)
Purpose of the role
- Generate fan-focused story ideas and tell them with our digital audience in mind; create compelling, targeted video content that drives outstanding digital engagement and use this in ways that also fulfil the requirements of our print products.
- Source and create images (video) with a key focus towards social media and socially shareable videos.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Quality, accuracy, legal and IPSO compliance
- Deliver high quality, thoroughly researched, accurate and well-written multimedia content packages on a daily basis to agreed deadlines; thinking video-first as much as is possible
- Write content around video in a way which engages and drives digital audience
- Provide live coverage of news events for live blogs and breaking news as and when required
- Shoot video, audio and pictures in a way our readers love
- Source third party content, including blogs, video, audio and pictures, where appropriate to add value to content packages
- Take responsibility for themes of content, such as geographic areas, campaigns or other areas of interest, as directed by the content desk
- Build strong contacts for story-gathering within local communities
- Spend time in communities – both geographic and interest based – to promote brands
- Be active on social media, in line with Trinity Mirror policies, to build audiences and communities and ensure that content links are regularly shared on social platforms
- Ensure content is written with strong search engine optimisation in mind
- Ensure content is produced with the correct metadata at all times
- Undertake company/editorial projects and any other duties from time to time as reasonably requested by management.
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Trinity Mirror’s editorial and company policies, and ensuring these standards are upheld across the newsroom.
Your performance will be assessed regularly, taking into account audience traffic to your stories and therefore encompassing video initiates, page views, unique users, local audience and other metrics. You will be expected to grow your page and video views and uniques in line with the growth we require as a business.
You will be expected to make effective use of digital journalism methods including multi-media tools and your use of and engagement with social media.
- Trinity Mirror or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Ability to shoot and edit video and audio
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing professionally
- Up-to-date legal knowledge
- Good understanding of how content is shared and promoted through social media
- Comfortable at getting out and about and making contacts
- Awareness and understanding of how people use the internet to find information
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Flexible approach to shifts and weekends
- Full driving licence
What you need to know
In return we will offer you a generous remuneration package, 25 days holiday per year plus 8 bank holidays, with the option to purchase additional holiday, a pension scheme and various other benefits that will be discussed during the interview process.
This will be a shift position which will include evening and weekend work as required.
The closing date for this role is 2nd April, 2017. We will be considering applicants as they apply, so please don’t delay in submitting your application.
Trinity Mirror plc is committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.