News & Content Lead Vacancy @ ESPN (London)
March 16, 2017
We are seeking a News & Content Lead to join our Editorial team on a permanent basis.
If you have a passion for sport you’ll know that ESPN is the leading sports network in the world, with premier performances and out-of-this-world technology.
Aims of the Job:
As the News & Content Lead you will be responsible for UK news and creative coverage for ESPN, working under the Senior Editor to help ensure editorial standards are maintained, the desk operates at required levels and new technology and products are efficiently implemented.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Daily co-ordination of the UK edit desk
- Line management and development of Associate Editors, News Editors and any freelancers
- Managing UK news coverage in close liaison with the Universal News Group
- Progressing the editorial and video content of the site through commissioning and networking across a variety of platforms
- Working across and directing coverage of major sporting events to ensure ESPN coverage is setting the agenda locally and globally
- Liaising across the ESPN network on breaking news, forthcoming events and creative content
- Working with our Social Media Lead to ensure coverage develops with trends on social platforms
- Working with our Audience Development Lead to ensure site management is targeted towards audience growth
- Working with our Video team on creation and promotion of quality content
- Working with our Sports team to ensure agenda-setting story-telling, breaking news, exclusive access and coverage across all platforms
- Maintaining a detailed knowledge of the world of sport which would be expected to include a good grasp of current affairs, trends and buzz topics
- Deputising for the Senior Editor as required
- Suitable candidates will offer the following skills and experience:
- A journalistic qualification with demonstrable experience of working on a news desk (preferably web-based)
- An excellent knowledge of UK and international sport with the ability to use existing technology to adapt to future changes
- Proven experience of managing an Editorial team
- Digital News, Video and/or Social experience and background preferred
- Ideas-driven across written editorial, video and social
- Outstanding attention to detail and an ability to embrace new technologies
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and collaborate across teams and time-zones
- Knowledge of digital media, social media & audience development trends
- A passion for sport and sports news
Please click here to apply via the ESPN careers website.