News Editor @ The Athletic UK
April 27, 2020
Contract Type: Full-time
The Athletic UK is seeking a news editor to head up its new breaking news department. This is a pivotal role, liaising with writers across Europe and our leadership team. The ideal candidate will have managed an editorial team, have experience in breaking news, understanding how the world of football works and have the energy and enthusiasm needed to turn around big stories on tight deadlines.
They will need tobe an expert at building relationships with those in the office, over the phone, and over virtual conferences. Additionally, they are a clear thinker and communicator. The role is based in London and will require working weekends.
- Oversight of breaking news and management of small team of full-time staff
- Development of new content formats offering a unique approach to news content built on The Athletic’s editorial values and approach
- Integration of a new team into the newsroom’s daily processes, workflow and culture
- Day-to-day management of the team, including: daily staffing schedules and assignments, editing, producing and publishing stories via a dedicated publishing process, writing headlines and selecting photos, promotion and curation of stories, collaboration with staff on news content development, working with audio team and graphics, understanding SEO and best practices, and utilizing real-time metrics to assess performance and adjust appropriately
- Keeping the leadership team informed of performance
- At least five years of experience in digital sports journalism with some management
- Significant background in news
- Deep knowledge of football in UK and abroad
- Based out of London office
- Will be expected to work weekends (though not every weekend day)
Click here to apply for this role: