Application Deadline: 22/12/2019
We have recently announced exciting news confirming significant expansion of our digital network of regional news brands. We are committing to 46 journalists into permanent positions and seven new launches in 2020, so there really hasn’t been a better time to join us! As part of this, we are looking for a trainee sports journalist to cover the Lancashire region. You will source and create brilliant stories, cover breaking news while putting the audience at the creation of every piece of content. You will take ownership of a particular geographic patch, or area of content, becoming an expert and a representative of our brand online, on social media and in person.
-Find and create stories delivering high-quality, well-researched, accurate and well-written content to agreed deadlines as directed by the content desk
– Make and nurture contacts
Passion for sports
– Be prepared to undertake the Reach Diploma to become a senior reporter within the Live network of sites, undertaking modules in media law, digital storytelling and more to be able to cover stories to the highest standards
– Cover live breaking news to a very high standard using all the tools at the disposal of a journalist working in a digital newsroom. Be comfortable running a live blog.
– Produce stories to a high digital standard, considering images, video, audio and other digital storytelling tools. Produce a full package of content where possible
– Have a sophisticated understanding of how to use social media to spot stories and identify relevant trending content
– Understand the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
– Engage with your content after-publication. Help it reach its audience by – for example – putting it in Facebook groups, running a Facebook group, creating a newsletter, sharing on social and engaging with the reaction
– Actively engage with readers online and on social media, through membership of appropriate digital communities, excellent social interaction and replying to comments
– Be creative, with a stream of ideas for content that will engage and interest the readers.
Click here to apply for this job.